Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Literary One-Hit Wonders

I think this article about "literary one-hit wonders" that Tayari Jones linked in her blog is a good conversation-starter.

I don't think it makes sense to call writers who only wrote one novel but successfully completed work in other forms & genres (Salinger, Plath, Wilde...) "one-hit wonders."

I'm glad to hear Arundhati Roy is writing fiction again. I was not aware of this. I used to want to be like Arundhati Roy when I grew up.

Who else should be added to this list?

My partner thinks Scott Heim's post-Mysterious Skin output is forgettable, but I haven't even read Mysterious Skin, although I did like the movie with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, so I can't really comment on this.

Here is a song. The song is called "One Hit." It's by the Knife.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

3 comments:

scottheim said...

Ouch!!

davidpeak said...

read mysterious skin. it makes the movie look silly. you'll like it. it's very, very good.

Tim Jones-Yelvington said...

Scott, I'm certain he's wrong about this. Yet another reason I keep my riding crop at the ready. I'm embarrassed I ever repeated his opinion.

David, it's definitely on my list, and I'm not just saying that because Scott Heim might be listening.