Cleaning my desk, I found a list of names I generated a few months ago when I thought I was going to write a story about derby girls.
I imagined a story about jealousy and desire and idolatry, about a Queer girl who's infatuated with the star player and loses her shit a little when a promising rookie becomes the star player's new bff and protege. It was going to be all about the fine line between "I want you" and "I want to be you" with which so many Queer folks are all-too-familiar, and about the pain and isolation of existing at the margins of social circles that are themselves marginal and are supposed to somehow promise some sense of community or respite from the mainstream's yuck.
But I never wrote it, and I think the impulse is now gone so that if I tried to write it, it would be guided by my own ideas instead of the characters speaking through me, and so would feel totally forced.
Perhaps the impulse will strike again at some future point or perhaps it won't, but in the meantime, I want to post all the derby girl names I generated so I can throw away this post-it that's cluttering my desk.
Helen Earth
Tyra Nickel
Viola Death
Hella Razor
Fyren Brimstone
Juwanna Getsmacked
Hedda Trauma
Tara Wrist
Pia Missing
Ana Rampage
Jessica Meyet
Donna YourKnees
Whora Knee
Tara Limboff
Matilda the Hun
Dee Capitation
Kina Lingus
Gretchen the Toilet
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
There is an international database for roller derby names. http://www.twoevils.org/rollergirls/ I'm not sure if refs are on the same database, but their names are generally awesome as well.
Why do I know this? My sister does roller derby, for real. She's at a bout today. Her name: Queen Kicktoria.
I have a friend who's a rookie jammer and we went to her first bout -- I loved it! (her name is Deb Autry)
She kicked ass, and all the attention folks paid her got me thinking about what it would be like to have been around for a few years and still not have gotten that level of attention and yet crave it.
Post a Comment