Wednesday, April 22, 2009
yes
"You show me anything that depicts institutional progress in America, school test scores, crime stats, arrest reports, arrest stats, anything that a politician can run on, anything that somebody can get a promotion on. And as soon as you invent that statistical category, 50 people in that institution will be at work trying to figure out a way to make it look as if progress is actually occurring when actually no progress is. And this comes down to Wall Street. I mean, our entire economic structure fell behind the idea that these mortgage-based securities were actually valuable. And they had absolutely no value. They were toxic. And yet, they were being traded and being hurled about, because somebody could make some short-term profit. In the same way that a police commissioner or a deputy commissioner can get promoted, and a major can become a colonel, and an assistant school superintendent can become a school superintendent, if they make it look like the kids are learning, and that they're solving crime. And that was a front row seat for me as a reporter. Getting to figure out how the crime stats actually didn't represent anything, once they got done with them." --David Simon, creator of the Wire
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Is this from the Moyers interview? I just got emailed the link this morning.
What the hell is a Fuzzy Dunlop?
Best. Show. Ever.
yep, the moyers interview... so long, I couldnt get through all of it, but what I got through I loved.
Post a Comment