....my co-worker loved reading "Light Boxes." She said at first she was worried it was going to be too "weird," but then became completely engrossed in the story. She said her favorite part was the "List of Artists Who Created Fantasy Worlds to Try and Cure Bouts of Sadness." She said something I no longer remember about how she liked The Girl who Smells of Honey and Smoke, how she takes control of the story, and I said, "yeah, isn't it cool how February turns out to be depressed dirty hipster writer guy (no offense)" and she said, "yeah, when I got to the part about their relationship, I flipped back to the photo of the writer and I was like ohhhhhhhhh yeah...." and then we both laughed a lot. My co-worker is the kind of girl who attends roller derby bouts and buys tablecloths with retro-stylized floral patterns, if you catch my drift.
The single word entry you posted as your last blog entry is still visible in my google reader, as I suppose it is for anyone who subscribed to your blog. ...but I feel it should be acknowledged once more that Light Boxes is the opposite of that word.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
your friend sounds interesting. someone i would like to be friends with. i'm not that dirty.
I did not think you were.
I was worried I shouldn't have typed that sentence.
I was speaking less about you specifically and more about broad assumptions she and I both drew about the character of February based upon a set of preconceived notions and stereotypes.
You know how sometimes when you describe something to someone from outside a particular community, you find yourself resorting to labels and reductive categorizations you would otherwise shun? Like when you're trying to describe some really exciting music to someone or even a writer you love, you find yourself saying they're like a cross between so-and-so and so-and-so even though that's totally off the mark and you swore you'd never participate in that bullshit? ...I think the "dirty hipster" thing is kind-of like that. ...does that make sense?
yeah, that makes sense. i'm really glad you and your hipster friend liked the book. i also enjoy roller derby.
http://americanreadinglist.blogspot.com/
Shane Jones made the American Reading List, FYI.
Post a Comment