~Glimmer Train announced a very odd new submissions category. I'm not sure what to make of it-
New category: Best Start
| Best Start is meant to encourage new writers. This category is different from our others in that the piece should be an engaging and coherent narrative, but it does not need to be a complete story; it just needs to be an important part of a story in progress. |
|
| ...these are a few of the basics:
|
...The email did not include any further explanation behind the thinking that went into the formation of this oddball category (maybe the website guidelines do -- I probably should've checked before blogging about it). I'm not necessarily criticizing this, just trying to understand their thinking - since none of these stories will be complete stories, and none will be published in the magazine, it seems fairly clear they're setting themselves up as arbiters of potential and saying, 'new writers, send us your half-finished stuff and we will tell you whether it has merit according to Glimmer Train.' Kinda weird. Thoughts?

3 comments:
I didn't get much more out of it than you did.
It's interesting though and may be good feedback for writers. I'm thinking of sending in a couple of chapters.
Weird. Like, "Hey, I'm too lazy to finish this story, but I liked where it was going . . . three hours ago. So here. You read it. Do you like it?" Sorry. I feel like I get a lot of these without putting out the call for them. Still, very curious to see what's considered the best unfinished story. So. Best of luck with this, Glimmer Train gals.
P.S. This reminds me of Lily Hoang's thing. Isn't she asking for people to send her their unfinished stories so she can finish them?
Here's the website that explains the contest below.
http://www.glimmertrain.com/beststart.html
Or just google Glimmer Train contests. Lots more details. I don't think it's about being lazy. I think it would be good for feedback on a work-in-progress.
Post a Comment