Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Road to WTF

Several years back, I bought an issue of an ill-fated publication called "Women who Rock," and it came with a sampler of songs by women purported to rock.

Many tracks were great. Others were not.

One stands out as particularly ridiculous -- it was called "Way to Mandalay," and was performed by a Renaissance Fair-inspired group called "Blackmore's Night."

I keep it on my ipod, because whenever it comes up on shuffle, as it did a few minutes ago, it still cracks my shit up.

Here it is-



...utterly ridiculous. I've always thought it sounded less like a legit song than a theme song for one of those syndicated genre programs that local stations tend to air on weekend afternoons.

Shows like -


or...



or...



Let's take one more look at those Blackmore folks.



She's like Stevie Nicks, only shitty.

I think I want to try on his hat.

No comments: