Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Reasons I Feel Like a Fraud

1. I've never written a successful character-driven realist short story.
2. I've never written a successful sentence-driven hybrid literary text object.
3. One of my best-received stories, a prize winner, is a joke. (I don't mean this as an expression, like, "What a fucking joke," I mean literally, like "That's a funny joke, haha).
4. Blake Butler said humor is for cowards.*
5. My most passionate manuscripts are sitting on my desk as drafts. Some haven't been touched for nearly a year.
6. A month ago, I wrote and workshopped a new story that has so far met with the same fate.
7. I don't know how to use threaded imagery.
8. I am too influenced by/interested in pop culture.
9. I am too influenced by/interested in teenagers.
10. I am too influenced by/interested in sex I'm afraid of having.
11. Some of my published flash fictions are probably (ideas for) long stories with no follow-through.
12. Someone I trust thinks sections from my chapbook should be expanded into a novel, and I might agree, but I don't know how to write it.
13. Presses have offered to consider longer works and I haven't had anything to send them (opportunity w/o preparation).
14. I've never been published in an establishment journal. (As in one w/ some level of name recognition outside "indie lit" community, ie, University publication with some history).
15. I'm undisciplined.
16. I don't have a daily writing habit.
17. I spend more time on Google Reader than writing.
17. I'm better known for my blog comments than my writing.
18. I'm better known for my costumes than my texts.
19. I don't know how to write or talk about aesthetics. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm not smart enough to post at Big Other.
20. I've never read Deleuze, Barthes, Bloom, etc.
21. I've never read Hemingway, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Nabokov, Borges or Beckett.
22. During the htmlgiant gender conversation, I had to wikipedia Artaud.
23. I keep saying I'm going to make a website but haven't done it.
24. I keep saying I'm going to make posters for readings but haven't done it.
25. I keep saying I'm going to make "lit crafts" to sell at readings, but haven't done it.
26. Jason Behrends solicited me for the Orange Alert podcast two months ago and I still haven't sent him my recording.
27. I was supposed to review Joe Young's Easter Rabbit and never did.
28. Scott McLanahan sent me a review copy of "Stories II" and I still haven't read it, even though I love Scott McLanahan.

*This is a paraphrase, and Blake said this during a discussion of live readings, in response the argument that humor is safer at readings, he wasn't trashing humor.

This list is meant to articulate an emotional space, not my actual values or beliefs. Many of these items are derived from fucked up external validation systems. The goal of this particular post was not to deconstruct these systems, but please feel free to do so in the comment thread.

The best response to this post is probably: OK. Now get over it and get to work.

8 comments:

Molly Gaudry said...

Stop with the 17s in order to 16 and 15, which will lead to a 14, a 12, and a 13. Start with 26, 27, and 28.

XOXO,
M.

P.S. I believe in you!

Ryan W. Bradley said...

dude, i have always felt like a fraud. in fact as much of an ego as i have, i get really uncomfortable with compliments because i feel like a fraud and that if people knew they wouldn't be complimenting me, haha. it's a twisted life.

Stories II is badass. You will love it when you get to it.

Katelyn said...

re: 23-25, I find that piling up enough desirable tasks, verbally or mentally, eventually causes task avalanches that collapse on me and force me to accomplish some of them. Or, the next time I need one there's one handy.

I want to know about "lit crafts."

Randall Brown said...

I think Steve Young said that as an NFL quarterback the focus was always one what you can't do, rather than on what you can do.

Maybe the next list should be all the things you can do/did.

Tim Jones-Yelvington said...

Hey Randall, That's what Mairead Case suggested (this post ignited an even longer discussion when it imported into facebook as a note).

I believe both types of list have their utility. The morning I wrote this, it was very useful and I think hopefully has some value for others. I think the stuff on this list has a lot more power and influence when it hangs around unnamed.

John Madera said...

Big Other loves you, Tim! I wish you had posted this there.

John

Rabbit Vibrators said...

A 28 unique reasons :) BRAVO BRAVO!

questionlockeddoors said...

I absolutely identify with #19.