Monday, December 18, 2006

Toward a Feminist Defense of Cross-Generational Homosexual Male Sex


Within contemporary U.S. dominant culture, it is often accepted as a given that all cross-generational sexual relationships between adult men and adolescent boys under the age of 18 are inherently abusive, regardless of the specifics of a given situation. Labels like “pedophile” are applied broadly and uncritically to diverse individuals and experiences with little differentiation. Collective hatred of the “Pedophile” with a capital “P” – socially constructed as the ultimate sexual deviant -- often seems to be the only commonality uniting diverse communities otherwise conflicted over moral and ethical concerns. Simultaneously, actual sexual abuse is still accompanied by denial and severe social stigma. When abuse is acknowledged, it tends to be addressed individually and psychologically, rather than within the context of systemic power and inequality with relation to gender, sexuality, race and class. Within feminist theorizing and organizing, sexuality-related issues are frequently divisive. Anti-violence-based feminist perspectives on sexuality problematize sexuality as a primary site for the manifestation of social hierarchies – ie White supremacy, patriarchy and capitalism, while sexual rights-based perspectives see dominant culture as disenabling diverse sexual acts, identities and sources of pleasure that should be socially validated. These two positions are sometimes understood as conflicting.

My own position on cross-generational sex is without question a product of my experiences. As such, it is undocumented and un-researched. For four years, I’ve been in an intimate relationship with a man who is fourteen years my senior. This relationship has provided me with maturity, perspective and levels of intimacy that would not be possible with someone my own age, “going through the same things as me.” I have heard many gay men share similar stories of transformative cross-generational relationships. Although I was nineteen years old when we first met and became involved, I could just as easily have been sixteen or seventeen. In fact, throughout my high school years, I craved sexual contact with adult men. My mother lived in terror that as an openly gay high-schooler in Greenwich Village, I would be “taken advantage” by predatory older males. My mother, a political progressive/leftist committed to GLBT rights struggles, manifested her homophobia in this fear of cross-generational sex. As a result, I often felt greater shame because of my desire for adult men than because of my same-sex desire more generally. But the majority of the boy-loving older men I’ve met are a far cry from the voracious wolf stereotype I was taught to fear. Many are protectors and nurturers who, if anything, are left wounded by their emotionally noncommittal younger partners. At the same time, I am aware that there are many situations of abuse that go unrecognized due to our dominant culture’s general disavowal of sexual abuse, and that age can function as a site of harm-inflicting power. I have long felt it was possible to provide a feminist defense of cross-generational gay male sex without counteracting feminist struggles against sexual violence. In both instances, sexuality functions problematically as an axis of power and privilege, while open and honest reflection upon sexuality is generally prohibited. Although discussion of sex is frequent, it most often extends particular discourses that reify existing hierarchies.

Gayle Rubin’s theoretical model of sexual hierarchies in “Thinking Sex: Notes for a Radical Theory of the Politics of Sexuality” provides useful perspectives on these issues. In Rubin’s schemata, sexuality is hierarchized into a “charmed circle” of “good, normal, natural or blessed” sexual acts and identities and an “outer limits” of “bad, abnormal, unnatural and damned” personalities and behaviors. Rubin’s “charmed circle” includes such normative behaviors and identities as “married, monogamous, procreative, vanilla and coupled,” while the “outer limits” are occupied by “deviant” sexualities” like promiscuity, pornography, homosexuality, cross-generationality and public sex. Although different forms of deviance may be more or less penalized at different times in history, sexuality functions as its own axis of power, with validated forms of sexuality are defined against their invalid or demonized counterparts.

Rubin’s inclusion of “cross-generational” sex alongside sexual identities like gay and lesbian often raises conflict in Women’s Studies classroom settings, where the primarily progressive students resent any association of (in their eyes) more acceptable marginalized sexual identities with sexual acts associated with violence and abuse. But in my opinion, this reaction only serves to confirm Rubin’s hypothesis. I was struck by the salience of Rubin’s hierarchies last year while facilitating a workshop on sexuality and power for Spectrum, DePaul’s Queer student group. Attempting to address multiple manifestations of power and privilege at the intersections of sexuality, gender, race and class, I introduced a series of images and asked participants to examine power dynamics within them. Wanting to establish the demonization of sexual fetish communities as a related topic, I included what I though to be the most innocuous fetish image imaginable – an adult man on a bed wearing a diaper and clutching a stuffed teddy bear. But rather than identifying him by his participation in consensual fetishes like “adult baby” or “plushie,” the workshop participants immediately and without hesitation labeled him a “pedophile.” I was genuinely taken aback by the speed with which a group of Queer college students thrust one of the most pathological labels associated with our communities upon other sexually marginalized individuals.

How can we ever hope to deconstruct heteronormativity without also deconstructing its most powerfully disempowering labels of “otherness”? What does “pedophile” mean within specific circumstances at specific times? How can we disrupt this term’s hold over our collective dominant cultural imagination and its ability to politically marginalize whole communities? I firmly believe that the current discourse of pedophilia functions more effectively to pathologize and vilify consensual intimate relationships between adult men and adolescent boys than it does to prevent age-based violence and abuse. Open and honest reflection on sexuality’s function as an axis of power and its intersections with White supremacy, capitalism and patriarchy would enable both sexual rights and anti-violence-based activisms. It is necessary to examine the particularities of diverse individual situations within the context of larger social systems. Cross-generational gay male sex can be validated in ways that support feminist activism against sexual violence.

5 comments:

Jason said...

Another great article. This is such a complex question because, of course, one wants to draw the line somewhere. The question is where? I think there are three issues at the heart of the matter 1.) "agency" (are adolescents credible decision-makers in sexual situations) and 2.) our culture's definition of adulthood. 18 is a very arbitrary number, and obviously other cultures and times have set a different benchmark for adulthood.

Even more insidious, however, is 3.) the idea that children should be protected from the "evils" of the adult world and that among those evils is sex. The typical adult construction of an ideal childhood is one that is free from any sexual energy whatever. I believe this ideal is the very locus of sexual dysfunction in our culture, especially since adolescence is one of the most sexually charged periods in a person's life.

You very carefully avoid the term "children" I notice, and I am also fascinated by your focus on cross-generational homosexual contact. Do you hold the same opinions about cross-generational heterosexual contact?

Rachel Swirsky said...

This is thought-provoking. Must mentally chew. Perhaps will post about on livejournal.

Tim Jones-Yelvington said...

This really is intended as the BEGINNING of a conversation. The primary aim is to open and expand a discussion that has been closed and narrow...

So there's definitely a lot more to talk about.

re: Jason--> Yes, I believe that I do intentionally avoid the word "children." This is of course fundamentally connected to the question of where you draw the line... between child and adolescence, between adolescence and adulthood... and how DO you measure agency?

I also question (and this might be where I get more controversial), whether an adolescent must be a fully self-aware and enable decision-maker before engaging in a sexual relationship with an adult. Most younger adolescents (say 12-15) are constantly thinking sex... and many have immensely unpleasant encounters with people their own age who have no clue what they are doing. I wonder if they wouldn't be safer and have more pleasurable experiences with older adults who serve more as sexual mentors and caretakers, folks who could help them understand what's happening and teach them about themselves. a la the Ancient Greek model. Or perhaps more like the romanticized version of the Ancient Greek model that NAMBLA-types gravitate toward.

And yes, I do tend to avoid talking about intergenerational heterosexual relationships, mostly because the patriarchy thing seems to complicate the issue, and older straight men who've got a thing for hairless Lolitas sort of gross me out and seem really problematic, and I do tend to think of a lot more of them as predators. It feels like a bit of a double standard on my part, so I tend to leave the issue alone until I come to some more solid conclusions.

Rachel Swirsky said...

I think I've made this comment in regard to your thoughts on this issue before, but I guess my initial reaction is:

A) I accept that there are cultural contexts in which it is possible for older adolescents and adults to have sexual congress in ways that are not skeevy and predatorial.

B) This is not one of them.

C) While there may be people who can successfully navigate the hazards of the power dichotomies inherent in the way our culture constructs sex and patriarchy (which I think affects male/male relationships as well as male/female relationships), I believe that the potential for harm here is extreme.

D) Given the fact that the potential for harm is extreme, my instinct is to act to protect those who are in the most vulnerable positions.

E) Therefore, my instinct (which I'm sure can be critiqued, and may be false entirely) is to ask that older adolescents who want to have sex with adults restrain themselves from doing so until such time as they reach the age of locally defined majority. These are the people who I consider to be making the most sacrifice, because adult men who want to get into relationships with young men can find young looking people who are of majority -- and if their sexuality is not flexible enough to permit that relatively small concession, then I think it would be necessary for them and us to examine why they can not make it.

I think it is possible to destigmatize the urges -- to tell young children especially that it's *FINE* to be attracted to adults -- while at the same time saying "but because of the possibility for danger here, we ask that you not indulge yourself until 18. I know that seems like a long time, but it's not really -- have a magazine, some lube, and a sex toy. Screw around with your classmate and fantasize. Watch some pornography, if your conscience will permit it."

F) To be frank, I have the same sorts of difficulties excusing the behavior of adult men who are attracted primarily or exclusively to young boys that I have excusing sadists.

In Greek culture, this might have been a mentor relationship. In our culture, it isn't.

In our culture, the defined age when a person is able to make their own decisions in a free and comprehensive way is 18. Look now at a man who wants to have sex with a 10 year old. Is that okay? WHY does he want to have sex with a ten year old? What about society's definition of a child is it that is attracting him?

Look at a different man who prefers older adolescents, 16 or 17 -- but who is not attracted as attracted to 18 year olds. This man is clearly reacting to a social definition of age and consent.

Now, perhaps there are plenty of guys who are attracted equally to sixteen and seventeen year olds and to eighteen and nineteen year olds. Okay. Restrain yourself to the eighteen and nineteen year olds. Is it that hard? If the love of your life is sixteen, and you refrain from fucking him for two years, the sacrifice here is relatively small. More, will he still be a fetish object at twenty? Or does his attractiveness diminish with age?

I've mentioned in prior discussions with you that I feel sexuality should not be exempt from the same kinds of psychological critique to which we would subject other kinds of behavior.

Here, we are discussing a group of adult men who are sexually attracted primarily or exlusively to people who have been culturally defined as helpless. Why? To be saviors? To be powerful? To replace one's own father figure?

These explanations may have greater or lesser validity in any given case, but I don't think I can uncritically accept them. There are encoded cultural dynamics here, and I think they are at play in the formation and action of fetish.

G) I believe that all people, to the best of their ability, have a specific obligation not to injure others with their sexuality.

A sadist bears a particular obligation not to wound his sexual partner in a physical way. If he [pronoun chosen advisedly] is role playing, he bears a specific responsibility to be aware of the safety of the situation, to be aware of the bottom's physical cues, to set up situations which the bottom can escape if necessary.

Because his sexuality necessarily involves the pain of another person (speaking of sadists, not of doms), he has a specific obligation not shared by other kinds of fetishists to make sure that his pleasure remains within bounds that will hurt the bottom only in the ways in which the bottom is willing to be hurt.

An adult lover of boys is in the same situation -- only his situation is more complicated. He does not wield a literal knife, but he does wield other cultural and social weapons. He has the potential to greatly wound children with his sexuality.

This is not acceptable.

And if he has to accept extra strictures upon his behavior in order to avoid the wounding of some children, then he should accept those strictures.

At this time and in this place, I believe that relationships between adults and young adolescents (10-15) have a great enough potential for harm that there is justification to ask that a lover of boys should find other outlets for his sexuality.

I don't know if relationships between adults and older adolescents (15-18, yes, I know there's an overlap) are necessarily harmful. I would be into revising the law on this subject.

However, the ways in which I might be open to revising the law (allowing sex between partners who are within, say, ten years age of each other) are not friendly to older lovers of boys.

H) I do believe that the only way to deal with these issues is through honest discussion.

However, honest discussion is fraught.

As you know from what I've written in the past (I'm thinking of "A Letter Never Sent" here), I do think that stigmatizing the desire to have sex with children as greatly as we do is harmful to everyone in the society, but particularly to both children and those who would have sex with them. I believe that peopel who want to have sex with children should be able to discuss their problems, and I believe that they should be able to find constructive outlets, even if they are not permitted to have sex with children.

However, that does not mean that I offer unqualified acceptance. I will not refrain from judging. I will not refrain from criticizing. I will not refrain from analyzing.

Nor should lovers of men expect that those who have been hurt by pedophiles or other predators will be open to what they have to say. They should not expect that the safe places for these two groups should overlap.

I don't know how to go about creating a safe place for people who want to have sex with children (please note that I *have* switched to the word children here, which is potentially a different demographic than you were discussing). I don't know if I would want to be part of that safe place. Until recently, I would have spoken about this differently; however, I recently encountered a predator who had an expectation that anyplace he wanted to make a safe place for himself should become one - even while he preyed on people in that space. This is unacceptable.

I think that in order for any sort of safe space to work, the people asking for it must be willing to analyze their own behavior and act in a way that respects the other people in that space.

I realize that you are trying to set a barrier between "lover of children" and "predator," but in reality, these two groups do overlap - particularly when we are talking about children, not adolescents -- and again, when we are talking about *this* culture and *this* place.

A guilty or recalcitrant predator may be interesting or productive to talk to.

One who has not accepted his behavior is wrong, on the other hand, is only a purveyor of more damage.

I) I've moved quite a bit from your original topic, partially because of my own conflicted feelings.

I hope this does not offend you, or if it does, that it offends you in a way we can find productive to discussion. As you know, I'm struggling with sexuality as it relates to freedom versus protection, and this is an issue that goes straight to the heart of that debate.

Ultimately, I think, I side with protection - though I sympathize with those who feel their freedoms are suppressed, at least those who are aware of the morality and immorality of their suppressed actions, and who are thinking about issues like power and those who can be hurt.

Love,
me

Rachel Swirsky said...

A tad more:

I am sympathetic to your argument that children have agency and power, and that we do not use power imbalances as a reason to categorically condemn any other type of relationship with the ferocity with which we condemn this type of relationship. However, while acknowledging children have agency is a good thing, I believe the argument which suggests they are fully able to engage in relationships with adults makes too much of their agency.

Children are not adults. They lack moral training and development of self, to a greater degree at 10 than they do at 15, and to a greater degree at 15 than they do at 18. More, because of their legal status in this society, they lack a lot of the rights that most other individuals in this society can exercise as basic agency.

Children have agency, but they have constrained agency. They are always working within systems - partially biological, partially sociocultural, partially legal -- which constrain them and rob them of the kinds of power we, as a society, consider necessary for full consent. Treating this as a situation between individuals rather than as part of its systemic and cultural context is a folly here, I think. It may be possible to imagine a non-coercive, productive relationship between a 30 year old man and a 15 year old boy. That does not mean that this imagined relationship is a good basis for public policy.

(I posted these comments on my LJ.)