Thursday, April 09, 2009

The Votes are In....

...and Kelly Link is the winner of the "which book should Tim read next" poll. The next book I read, after I finish Lorrie Moore's "Birds of America" (true love, btw, don't know why I waited so long to read Lorrie Moore), will be Kelly Link's collection "Magic for Beginners."

Raymond Carver's "Cathedral," considered a classic of the short story genre, lead the pack until the eleventh hour, when Link pulled ahead in a hardcore upset. Link had a solid 4th or 5th place standing (don't exactly remember) during the first day of polling, behind not only Carver but also Joyce Carol Oates, Charles D'Ambrosio and Michael Czyzniekewski, an early leader who later fell to fifth place alongside Samuel Ligon. Link accumulated many of her votes during the second day of polling, and several during the last several hours. Link's win may serve as a reminder never to underestimate the power of a mobilized cult fanbase.

Canadian writer Andrew Tibbetts allegedly threatened to commit voter fraud by voting for Link on multiple computers, but no recounts will be taken until solid proof of tampering is brought forward ...Tibbets' plan is seen by some as a testament to the shrewdness, cunning and commitment of Link's fans.

Here are the final tallies:

62 people voted.

Kelly Link, Magic for Beginners, 13 votes, 21%
Raymond Carver, Cathedral, 12 votes, 19%
Joyce Carol Oates, Faithless, 9 votes, 15%
Charles D'Ambrosio, The Dead Fish Museum, 13%
Michael Czyzniekewski, Elephants in our Bedroom & Sam Ligon, Drift & Swerve, 6 votes each, 10% each
A Peculiar Feeling of Restlessness: Four Chapbooks by Four Women
Kyle Minor, In the Devil's Territory & Michael Martone by Michael Martone, 2 votes each, 3% each
Nicholas Monetemarano, If the Sky Falls, 0 votes

The two days of polling brought approximately 150 hits to the blog, suggesting that such exercises are an effective attention-grabber.

Thank you all for participating.

3 comments:

Andrew Tibbetts said...

While I, Canadian Writer Andrew Tibbetts, did indeed threaten voter fraud, I actually voted only once. This was not a sudden attack of moral consciousness, but the pernicious influence of chronic laziness. Voter fraud is hard work. My toque is off to your rogue republicans. And also….Yeah, Kelly Link!

Rachel Swirsky said...

Hey, I voted for Kelly! But only once.

And I only bothered to vote that once mostly because I despise one of the other candidates.

Tim Jones-Yelvington said...

ooh, now you have to tell me who you despise.